Tuesday 11 May 2010

Race 2 - Silverstone 9th May 2010

no rain and a bit of sunshine! Yes!

After the disappointment of the race the day before I was glad to arrive at the circuit with the sun shining and the promise of a dry race.

Again starting from 3rd on the grid I made a fair start but lost a position to John Brabbin, I was also getting harried from behind by Sean Foley. I managed to get along side John a few times and even got ahead once, only to mess up the exit and drop back into 4th again.


It was on the next lap going into Maggotts Curve that I experience something for the first time. A racing accident. Braking into the corner and received a whack up the backside. At the time I had no idea who had done it because there we a few cars in my mirrors... I backed off for a split second and then decided to just keep going and hope that I had no significant damage. Unfortunately this little lift opened the door for Sean Foley who nipped passed into forth.

The rest of the race was so close with Sean Foley, John Babbin and myself all within a few meters of each other. Places changed quiet a few times but as we crossed the line each lap the positions were John in 3rd, Sean in 4th and me in 5th. This carried on for the whole race and wa
s the most fun I have had in a car. Proper racing!

On the final lap on the final corner John Babbin made a small mistake and lost his momentum. This sent Sean round the outside of the corner and gave me a chance up the inside. All 3 of us could see an opportunity to grab the last spot on the podium.
Unfortunately it wasn't to me my day. Sean just pipped John nosing accross the line for a proper photo finish. So a 5th place was mine, my worst finish so far, but I couldn't have cared less. It was the most exciting race I have had.

And the accident, well I found out afterwards that it was Ralph Kirk who had given me the friendly tap. Thankfully the damage was minimal, I had lost a bit of trim and Ralph had bent the front of his car a bit. But all is fair in love & war and we both live to fight another day!


My congratulations go Stephan Lanfermeijer for another great win (4th in a row) and to both Sean and John for a great race and I look forward to turning the tables at the next race at Croft.

No comments:

Post a Comment