Friday 19 February 2010

The first test

Test Day Oulton Park - 25th September 2009.

As mentioned before, it had been a hectic journey to get to Oulton park. Because of my last minute dash to demon tweeks to get the equipment, I arrived without having given any thought to what I was about to do, so I was relaxed. I was sure a test day would be like a trackday.


Getting to drive straight into the paddock and park next to the car I knew I was driving was pretty good. At last it started to feel a bit real.

I met up with Trevor Ford, owner of the car and organiser of the championship and the rest of the team. Big thanks go to them for their help. After a quick hello it was time to see the car.


We spent 10 mins getting the seat sorted out for me and making sure I was comfortable in car.

Then it was time to get into my far too shiny race gear. I have never felt so self conscious, with all the seasoned drivers in battle-worn race suits and helmets, I stood out like a sore thumb. I was glad to get into the car and get out on to the circuit.

If you have done trackdays, a test day will be pretty familiar. Different types of cars get given different windows to get out on track. The tin tops like us don't run at the same time as the open wheel cars. However, there are some very fast cars out on track at the same time, from different championships.


The “everyone is here to have a good time” rules of trackdays go out the window. Some of the drivers are taking it very seriously and you had better be ready to have someone chop you at 100mph into a corner... it will happen and the first time it does you'll jump out of your skin.


Tim Sweet, eventual class D champion of 2009, was kind enough to let me follow him round for half a dozen laps to familiarise myself with the car and circuit. Big thanks go to him for taking time out of his own test day to babysit me.


I spent the rest of the afternoon pounding round learning the track and gaining confidence in the car. By the end of the day I felt relaxed and was sure I wouldn't make a tit of myself. The guys from BMWRDC who were looking after the car seemed happy enough with me too, which put me at ease.

It was well worth doing the test day, it gave me confidence in myself, the car, and that the race the next day would be OK.

After that there was little for it but to head back to the hotel for some grub and an early night ready for race day.


No comments:

Post a Comment