Thursday 11 February 2010

Race Licence:

Before you can get near that first race you will need arrange to do an ARDS test to get your Race National ‘B’ Licence.

First port of call is the MSA (Motor Sports Association) you’ll need to order a MSA Go Racing Starter Pack


Once you have
gone through the pack and realise that all you really need is the application form and the rest is mostly junk sales stuff, the £57 seems a little steep.

You then need to go and get a medical. This should cost around £75.
As a 35 year old, recently quit smoker, who wouldn’t know what to do with a piece of gym equipment I was more than a little nervous... had those years of abuse done me some damage?... well I need not have worried as I left with a signed and stamped form.

Once the medical part of the form is completed it is time to arrange the ARDS test. This will cost around £225-£275. The ARDS test is available most race circuits in the UK.

I went to Bedford Autodrome due to its nearby location.

It is a great circuit with loads of space and run off, so it is very safe. However it is a long circuit, and as you only get a few familiarisation laps, remembering where each corner goes is not always easy.
In hindsight a shorter circuit like Brands Hatch may have been a better option...
as I found out!

Exam Time

The written test is about 30 mins long and fairly simple. However you need to get 100% correct answers on section one and I think it 8 out of 10 questions in section two. You get to watch a video first and it gives you all the answers, so listen carefully and you'll be fine.
I got one wrong, apparently the one everyone gets wrong... mirror signal manoeuvre is all I will say.


Out on track

After the test it is out on to the circuit. At Bedford they had Vauxhall VX220 Turbos in which to do the practical part of the test... these little cars are great fun.



Although
I didn’t realise it at the time my instructor was none other than touring car driver Steven Kane. He took me round for some vary hairy fast laps then it was over to me.

On my laps I nearly blew it completely. I was driving far too quickly and entering what I thought was a fast left hand corner the car suddenly lurched and lost power. Unbeknown to me the cars are duel control and Steven had performed an emergency stop which were followed by the words “if you don’t f**king calm down I will fail you”... not a good start. But when it became clear that the apparently fast left was in fact a hairpin we became friends again. This was the problem with Bedford and it nearly cost me. If you fail the written you can re-sit it, if you fail the practical you have to pay the full £225 to £275 again!

After 2 or 3 more laps we came into the pits and I was told the good news that I had passed the practical test (just) and we just had to wait to the written results, which came back with a positive outcome.

I had heard it say that only a fool will fail the ARDS test. Don’t believe it - I came very close - or maybe I’m a fool!

Listen to what they tell you to do and go round at 9/10’s they aren’t looking for the next Schumacher so don’t try to impress them. You’ll end up looking silly... I did.

A few days later the form comes back all signed and stamped and then it is sent back off to the MSA with yet other cheque, this time for £51. A few weeks later in post arrives that little card that proves you are a racing driver (kind of!)

The cost of all this is around £400-450

Then it is off racing. Well no, actually there is more expense first!...

PA

No comments:

Post a Comment