Saturday 6 February 2010

How it all started:

A bit of background on how I ended up here writing this bog.

I started going to track days about 4 or 5 years ago. It has been great fun. The first couple I did I used my road car but then a friend and I built a Porsche 944 track car.

Having the track only car took the worry out of damaging your daily driver but even though I was lucky to be able to share the cost it was still an expensive hobby. With all the money we invested in the car we started to take it increasingly seriously which meant more money. It was when another bill came in that I started thinking that a season racing at club level couldn’t be much more expensive... Could it?

Fast forward 3 years: The track car was sold to make way for a house a couple of years ago.
Apart from a couple of trips to The Nuerburgring and
a track day in my road car (which I was sure I would write off) I haven’t been out on circuit and I have been feeling the need.

So I decided to take the jump went for my race licence and entered a one off race at Oulton Park in the BMWRDC Kumho BMW Championship which is part of he British Automobile Racing Club. That was in September 2009.

By the very first corner I was hooked...
As my (very wonderful) wife said when I got out the car with a grin like a Cheshire cat; “oh dear we are going to be spending all our money on this aren’t we!”

It is very addictive. So much so that I now
find myself committed to doing a full season in the championship for 2010.

What's next?

Over the coming days I’ll detail what it took to get to that first race and what I have done so far for this year.
I’ll continue to post in the build up and during the season.
I hope that ultimately this blog will be a useful resource for anyone looking to get into club racing, they can learn from my hopefully infrequent mistakes...


PA

No comments:

Post a Comment